Sunday, May 18, 2014

On Our Way....

When we first started thinking about traveling to China, we decided to make some connections in either Beijing or Taiwan where we have some friends to visit.  The way everything worked out, however, we found that if we wanted to attend Molly's Special Olympics games, there wouldn't be enough time for those connections.  So we chose to spend a day in Seattle instead.  Let's face it...Seattle is amazing.  I'm not the type of person who likes to take tours or do sightseeing, but Sophia was traveling along and I wanted her to have some great memories.  So we left our house at a ripe old time of 5 AM and landed in Seattle at 7:30.  We dropped off our bags at the hotel and headed straight for Pikes Place.

We started out by grabbing a coffee at the original Starbucks. 
With a warm coffee in hand, we roamed around Pikes Place Market for quite some time looking at all the beautiful flowers.  Imagine your little farmers market with crafts, gifts, flowers and multiply that by a ka-jillion.  And then add the yummy smell of fresh fish.  And when I say yummy....I really mean "plug your nose and don't breathe"!!! 

Next, we wondered down the pier until we hit the carousel.  Sophia was pretty excited about that one.  I just wanted to see an aerial view of where I was located....since I have a habit of getting lost continuously....
 
After the carousel, we took a nice long walk along the pier.  It was nice to just relax and walk next to the water.  Seattle has lots of random art all over the city.  This one was Sophia's favorite.

 Yea....kind of random.  Large blob that has a hidden face in it when you look at it from just the right angle.  We decided to make our own art after a while.  We call it "self portraits of some super freaky Montanans".

I know, right?  Amazing.... thank goodness we finally made it to The Space Needle. 
But instead of going to the top The Space Needle, we decided to do something even more spectacular......the Duck Tour. 


What???  Yea...that's right.  We rode the duck and it was awesome.  Funniest 90 minutes I've had in a really long time.  They pile you into this tour bus/boat and they take you on a tour of the city.  And then, you drive right into the water and it becomes a boat tour.  Our tour guide was perfectly normal.
I can't say for sure, but he had a slight hat fetish....

I don't know why everyone laughed at this hat....it looks like half the hats in Montana....

Sophia thought the underwear hat was hilarious....

Well now he's just being weird.

What a fun day.  This was, by far, the best part.  After dinner, we hopped onto the commuter train and headed back to the hotel.  We only got lost once. 
As soon as we plopped into our hotel, I realized which very important item I had forgotten....my curling iron and straightening iron.  The chances of sporting an afro are pretty darn high now.  Doh!!!  Tomorrow morning, we head to Guangzhou.  After walking all day today, an all day flight doesn't sound too shabby.  Hopefully my internet will work and I can keep blogging.  If not, we'll catch you all in 2 weeks!  One day closer to my Ava girl!  



No comments:

Post a Comment